Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Dirt Cake

Every week I can expect my husband to be asking me what he should take to his work's weekly luncheon.  I love to cook for others and he knows this. So I couldn't say no to helping him find a Halloween themed food.  Let me tell you...when you search for Halloween themed food be prepared to set your eyes upon some weird things *shudder* I decided to make something that was more fun than scary and I thought that your kiddos in the classroom would love it too!

I halved the recipe since it was for a potluck where large amounts of food would be provided but you could go with the original recipe from allrecipes.com if you think you need more.  I also added peanut butter as a last minute thought so for those little ones with peanut allergies...no problem...just don't use it!

Dirt Cake

1 package of chocolate sandwhich cookies 
(I'm an Oreo snob...they are just better than any other brand!)

1/4 cup butter - softened
4 oz cream cheese - softened
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
3 TBLS of peanut butter

1 (3.5 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 3/4 cups of milk
1 (8oz) container frozen whipped topping - thawed

1 package of gummy worms

The peanut butter and milk are missing from this picture...whoops!



    Pulverize the cookies in a food processor.  I just have to say that it hardly 
took any time at all in my Ninja. I LOVE my Ninja food 
processor/ blender.  {Thanks, Mom!}

Cream together butter, cream cheese, sugar, and peanut butter.


Mix the pudding mix, milk, and whipped topping in a separate bowl.

Fold together the two wet mixtures to form a creamy, pudding, peanut buttery yumminess! Now I apologize for the lack of pictures from this part on...
it was due to all the vital taste testing that needed to be done :)

Layer cookies on the bottom of the pan, 
then cream mixture, then more cookies, 
then more cream, then top with cookies.

Chill until ready to serve.

Top with gummy worms right before serving!


This recipe is so easy and would be so fun to serve in a classroom! I have to say that those gummy worms look pretty good...this picture was sent from my husband and he truly exceeded my expectations in gummy worm placement.

I hope you all have a good Halloween tomorrow!  Just think...you only have to deal with the candy crazed zombies for one day after Halloween!  Apple on!


No comments :