Friday, November 29, 2013

Green Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

Did you survive Black Friday??? I did...I spent time with my family today and didn't do a lick of shopping! How was I supposed to walk around with all that food in my belly?!? Speaking of food...I know my family has dishes that are the comebacks...the staples...the traditions...the expected whenever we get together. Here's my favorite that I learned when I took a cooking class back in 2006.  I don't know the source and I can't find the original recipe...so whoever, wherever made this...my family LOVES this!

Green Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

equal parts spinach & romain
thinly sliced red onion
finely grated swiss cheese
candied almonds
 -------------------------------------------------------
for the candied almonds:
2-3 Tbs. sugar
small bag slivered almonds
Sprinkle sugar in frying pan over medium heat.  When sugar starts to melt, stir in almonds.  Keep stirring until sugar is all melted and almonds are evenly coated and slightly browned.  Empty almonds onto plate to cool.  When cool break apart into pieces and sprinkle onto salad. 
-------------------------------------------------------
for the poppy seed dressing:
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 Tbs. sugar
3 Tbs. vinegar
1 tsp. poppy seeds
1/4 cup salad oil or olive oil
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. grated onion
Mix together then toss with salad ingredients.Wait until serving time to pour dressing onto salad or greens will wilt.  Add almonds last so they will stay crunchy.
-------------------------------------------------------
And just in case you didn't get enough shopping in you can participate in my favorite kind of shopping...ONLINE shopping!!! Check out my TPT store for cyber Monday and Tuesday and enjoy 20% off on the products pictured below!  
 

Enjoy your weekend! Apple on!
 photo Picture1_zps09680629.png

No comments :